Austin Sebacia Acne Treatment
Experiencing acne? Sanova Dermatology in Austin specializes in Sebacia, an innovative Acne treatment that uses a combination of gold microparticles and laser technology to reduce the severity of acne.
At Sanova Dermatology, we pride ourselves in providing cutting-edge treatments to help you achieve your most vibrant dermatological health and appearance. We’re pleased to be one of the first centers in the country to offer Sebacia acne treatment, a new, non-invasive in-office treatment designed to clear mild to moderate acne lesions. No downtime required!
Overview of Sebacia Acne Treatment
Cleared in the U.S. and the EU—the two largest dermatology markets in the world—Sebacia is a breakthrough option for treating mild to moderate acne using a targeted gold microparticle formulation and localized dermatological laser technology. Unlike topical and oral acne medications, which have been the traditional way of keeping acne at bay, Sebacia acne treatment is completed in office over three sessions, eliminating the need for prescription acne medication in most people. The procedure lasts roughly 30 to 45 minutes per session and should be conducted at one-week intervals to achieve optimal results.
There are three underlying causes of acne vulgaris: clogged pores, excessive oil production, and bacterial overgrowth. Sebacia acne treatment targets the underlying causes of acne to create durable results in only three sessions. Sebacia is an effective method of treating common types of acne, including whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, papules, and nodules.
“We’ve known for many years that heat reduces sebum production, meaning that if we could heat up and damage the oil-producing glands in the skin, their ability to produce oil diminishes.” – Dr. Ted Lain of Sanova Dermatology.
Advantages of Sebacia Microparticles over other forms of acne treatment include:
- Localized treatment of acne directed at the root causes
- No downtime from daily activities
- Non-invasive option with no anesthesia necessary
- Convenient treatment plan lasting only 30 to 45 minutes per session for three sessions
- Effective treatment for adolescents and adults with recurring or chronic acne
- Reduces or eliminates the need for daily topical or oral acne medications
What to Expect During Your Sebacia Microparticles Treatment
Sebacia is a non-invasive acne treatment intended to reduce mild to moderate acne lesions in adolescents and adults. You can expect for the procedure to last about 30 to 45 minutes with no downtime necessary.
At your Sebacia acne treatment appointment, your Austin dermatologist or qualified Sebacia practitioner will take you through the following process to reduce your facial acne:
- Thorough facial cleansing—before getting started your experienced practitioner will wash your face with a mild soap, ensuring that your skin is completely clean before applying the gold microparticles
- Cover eyes—as an extra precaution, your eyes will be covered, ensuring the health and safety of your eyes and eyelids during the microparticles application and laser treatment
- Applying Sebacia Microparticles—at this stage Sebacia Microparticles will be massaged into your face, delivering the gold microparticles to your pores and glands
- Cleaning the surface of your skin—after thoroughly applying the Sebacia Microparticles to your face, your practitioner will then clean the surface skin, preparing your face for laser application
- Cooling your skin—your face will now go through a cooling process, as your practitioner applies ice packs, chilled air or chilled rollers to your skin
- Applying the laser—next, your practitioner will utilize a professional dermatological laser to selectively target and heat the pores and glands on your face that produce oil. Most people compare the sensation of the laser to a series of tiny pinpricks or small rubber band snaps
- Resume daily activities—after the appointment, you may experience some redness of the skin. This typically resolves within a few hours, and you’ll be able to return to your daily activities the same day
- Clearer skin—while many people notice improvement after the first session, clinical studies indicate that the most noticeable improvement can be enjoyed two to 12+ months after receiving one’s final Sebacia session
How Does Sebacia Work to Treat Acne?
Sebacia is one of the newest FDA-approved options for treating mild to moderate acne. Developed by researchers at Rice University and the Wellman Center of Photomedicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, Sebacia Microparticles’ patented microparticles technology features a silica core covered in gold material. When applied to the skin, these microscopic flecks have the ability to reach the sebaceous glands, drawing the laser heat where needed to selectively target acne vulgaris. This innovative approach utilizes targeted photothermal heating technology to facilitate the healthy improvement of your skin over time.
In clinical studies, some participants have reported to observe improvement after the first Sebacia treatment session, with the majority noting improvement about 6 weeks after the final treatment. Following a full round of treatment—which requires weekly sessions for three consecutive weeks—you can expect your skin to continue to improve for weeks to months after the last session.
While results vary, a real-world study of Sebacia Microparticles conducted in Europe shows an average durable improvement rate of about 65% at 3 months, 74% improvement at 6 months, and 85% improvement at 12 months. At 6 months after treatment, most people report not to need additional acne medications. Of those involved in the study, only 8% of participants were prescribed additional systemic acne medications at 6 months and only 14% were prescribed systemic acne medications at 12 months.
As of this writing, all clinical trials of Sebacia Microparticles conducted in Europe and the United States have been focused on lighter-skinned participants (since those with more melanin may be susceptible to laser damage) with mild to moderate acne. At this time, trials are being planned to study the effects of Sebacia acne treatment on those with darker skin tones and on those with more severe acne.
To access the most up-to-date information or to learn whether Sebacia might be a good option for you and your skin tone, we recommend that you schedule a personal consultation.
Possible Side Effects of Sebacia Treatment
There are no known systemic side effects from receiving Sebacia Microparticles treatment. That said, when receiving Sebacia Treatment, it’s possible that the following side effects could arise:
- Mild to moderate redness or swelling
- Soreness or discomfort
- Crusting or scabbing
- Worsening of acne
- Temporary hair loss in the treated area
- Skin dryness or itching
Less common side effects include:
- Skin lightening or darkening
- Permanent hair loss in the treated area
- Increased hair growth in the treated area
- Facial blistering
What Does Sebacia Treatment Feel Like?
While everyone’s pain tolerance is different, most people compare Sebacia acne treatment to the snaps of a small rubber band or say it feels like a series of tiny pinpricks on the face. On a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being the most painful, the average pain score is reported to be between 3 and 4. Because of its relatively comfortable, non-invasive nature, anesthesia is not necessary for this procedure.
How Much Does Sebacia Acne Treatment Cost?
During an acne consultation at Austin’s Sanova Dermatology, our expert dermatological team will be able to assess whether you are a good candidate for Sebacia treatment and, if so, provide you with relevant pricing information.
Contact Sanova Dermatology
For more information, or to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced dermatologists, please contact Sanova Dermatology in Austin today.