What are the Advantages of Dysport Over Botox?
Having wrinkles and frown lines can make you feel self-conscious about your age. But thanks to Dysport, many people are finding renewed confidence by having a more youthful looking appearance. Most likely, you’re well familiar with Botox, but you may not have heard of Dysport, as it’s a fairly recent product.
Coke or Pepsi?
Dysport is an alternative cosmetic treatment for Botox. “They work in a very similar fashion,” says Dr. Miriam Hanson board certified dermatologist and cosmetic expert at Sanova Dermatology. “They both target those muscles that are responsible for lines of motion. These are the muscles that give rise to unwanted fine lines on the skin.”
The Dysport procedure entails injecting medication into facial muscles for relaxing wrinkles and improving unattractive frown lines, known medically as dynamic rhytides. If you’re ready for a younger appearance and are wondering, “What are the advantages of Dysport?”, here is how this treatment can help you.
Cosmetic and Health Benefits of Dysport
Dysport has several advantages over Botox treatments. Besides being safe and effective, it also offers these perks.
- Fast results. “Many patients report Dysport acts quicker than Botox with visible results in a shorter amount of time,” explains Dr. Hanson. “This is considered one of the main advantages of this treatment.”
- No recovery is involved. This means you don’t have to lose time from work or school.
- It’s painless. Because the injections are exceptionally small, almost as small as acupuncture needles, they don’t cause any discomfort. To be effective, three to five tiny injections are typically needed in the area being treated.
- No anesthesia is needed. As the treatment is painless, you don’t need anesthesia.
- Dysport treatments may be beneficial for people who’ve had too many Botox injections, and report that Botox no longer works. “We’ve seen some patient develop an immune response to Botox and stop responding,” says Dr. Hanson. “The protein concentration that’s targeted by the immune system is less in Dysport. It therefore avoids this immune response and doesn’t block the activity of the drug.”
- Because Dysport has less protein concentration, it spreads more evenly than Botox, which results in a forehead having a softer and more natural appearance.
- It tends to be more affordable than Botox.
- In addition to providing cosmetic benefits, this treatment is also used by eye doctors and neurologists for treating muscle spasms, as well as neck and facial nervous tics.
Considerations and Warnings
- Dysport is FDA-approved.
- It’s an excellent option if you don’t want to undergo a facial cosmetic surgical procedure.
- The side effects from Dysport are minimal, with only swelling, bruising and mild discomfort being reported.
- In some cases, mild headaches have occurred, although they only last for a few hours and generally subside by using mild pain medications.
- Pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers should not have Dysport.
- This treatment is also not for people who have particular muscular disorders.
To find out if Dysport is a good choice for you, please schedule an appointment with Sanova Dermatology. Our Austin, Texas clinic is a state-of-the-art facility that has the latest up-to-date technology, along with high quality, caring skin care specialists. Please contact us today!