Candela® GentleYag Pro-U
Although previous technology did not allow for effective hair removal for some skin tones, the Candela® GentleYag Pro-U is designed to treat patients of all skin types. At Sanova Dermatology, the revolutionary Candela® GentleYag Pro-U is used to offer laser hair removal to a wider variety of patients.
The Candela® GentleYag Pro-U can be used for a variety of other treatments, as well. At our practice, we often utilize it for:
- Laser hair removal
- Laser skin rejuvenation and tightening
- Treatment of nail fungus
- Pseudofolliculitis barbae treatment (razor bumps, ingrown facial hairs)
How it Works
The Candela® GentleYag Pro-U uses intense beams of light to safely heat the treatment area without harming surrounding tissue. The targeted cells absorb the heat, resulting in safe, effective treatment for a variety of cosmetic issues. For each patient, a personalized treatment plan is created, including the amount of visits recommended to achieve optimal results. Most patients can achieve their desired level of improvement after 6-8 sessions. The GentleYag Pro-U can be used on all skin types and is ideal for individuals with darker skin tones who desire laser hair removal.
What to Know Before Treatment
For laser hair removal, patients should be sure to shave the area prior to treatment with the Candela® GentleYag Pro-U. Avoid bleaching, waxing, or plucking for 4-6 weeks before and after treatment. Depending on your skin type, it might be recommended for you to come in prior to your scheduled appointment to try a test spot. This equipment uses a cooling mechanism designed to help deliver treatment as comfortably as possible, but many patients elect to utilize a topical numbing cream for added comfort during their treatment session.
Following your treatment, the following is recommended:
- Avoid using makeup for 24 hours after laser hair removal
- Use a sunblock (SPF 30+) at all times throughout the course of treatment
- Avoid any intense exercise for 48 hours
- During the first week after treatment, patients should avoid retinoid, glycolics, and salicylic acid agents
- Some patients may choose to use a soothing topical product, such as aloe vera or NeoCutis Bio-Cream
- Avoid scratching or picking at the skin in the treated area
- After laser hair removal, patients may experience redness or swelling in the treated area, but this should subside after 2-3 days
- Clean the area with a gentle cleanser for at least one week
- Patients should avoid sun exposure to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation (darker pigmentation)
To learn more about the Candela® GentleYag Pro-U and how it can benefit you, or to schedule a consultation, please contact Sanova Dermatology today.