Are you tired of seeing unwanted wrinkles every time you look in the mirror? Or hearing people ask why you’re frowning, even when you’re not? Refresh your appearance with Jeuveau™.
At Sanova Dermatology we offer the latest, most cutting-edge treatments to help you achieve the best possible version of you. We’re pleased to offer Jeuveau™, a new FDA-cleared aesthetic treatment designed to reduce the appearance of moderate to severe frown lines and wrinkles in adults for up to six months.
“Jeuveau™ is the first product in its class to be released into the market in over 10 years!” -Dr. Miriam L. Hanson of Sanova Dermatology
Overview of Jeuveau™
Jeuveau™ is a contemporary neurotoxin injectable used to improve moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (known as glabellar lines). The newly FDA cleared treatment is the first cosmetic neuromodulator to hit the U.S. market in more than a decade and joins BOTOX®/BOTOX Cosmetic®, Dysport®, and Xeomin® in a small but noteworthy group of wrinkle-reducing solutions. Jeuveau™ is the first neurotoxin in the U.S. developed specifically to treat aesthetic concerns.
Glabellar lines form over time with repeated movement such as squinting or frowning and often become more prominent with age. Though part of a natural aging process, these lines can create the appearance of anger or frustration, even when one isn’t upset. Jeuveau™ helps relax the muscles, temporarily preventing them from creating deeper wrinkles or causing new ones to form.
In addition to treating frown lines, Jeuveau™ can be used to address a variety of other cosmetic and medical conditions. Off-label cosmetic uses include but are not limited to the following: eyebrow lift, crow’s feet, nasal lines, gummy smile, dimpled chin, neck lines, forehead lines, frown lines, eye shaping, uplift smile, and jawline shaping. Off-label medical uses include migraines and spasms.
Before getting greenlit by the FDA, Jeuveau™ underwent a series of trials and clinical studies in the United States, Canada and Europe. When put up against BOTOX® in side-by-side trials, Jeuveau™ performed similarly, and without additional adverse effects.
Areas That Can Be Treated with Jeuveau™ Injections
Jeuveau™ is a prescription medication designed to give you a more relaxed, youthful appearance by smoothing out frown lines between the eyebrows (known as glabellar lines). Other off-label areas, such as crow’s feet, forehead, chin, jawline, lines around the mouth, and the eye area may be treated by a skilled dermatologist.
What to Expect During Your Jeuveau™ Injections Procedure
Jeuveau™ is a nonsurgical cosmetic procedure that uses small, precise injections to smooth and improve the appearance of vertical lines between the eyebrows.
- 7 DAYS before receiving Jeuveau™ injections:
- Be sure to inform your dermatologist about any medications or supplements you may be taking. Continue all prescription medications unless expressly recommended by your doctor.
- Avoid taking anticoagulants like acetylsalicylic acid (Asprin) and ibuprofen, which can increase the risk of bruising.
- 3 DAYS before receiving Jeuveau™ injections:
- Starting at least three days before receiving your Jeuveau™ injections, it’s best to avoid alcohol and antioxidants, which may inhibit blood clotting. For a full list of foods, drinks and supplements to avoid on the days leading up to your appointment, please consult your dermatologist.
- DAY OF your Jeuveau™ appointment:
- Your appointment will be conducted in a safe, sterile environment and should only last a few minutes, depending on the size and number of areas you’re scheduled to treat and how many units of Jeuveau™ you’re scheduled to receive. It’s important to note that Jeuveau™ is different from BOTOX® Cosmetic and, as such, may require different dosing units.
- Jeuveau™ injections are administered with tiny needles and are known to be relatively painless, most often compared to a small pinch. It’s possible that you may experience tenderness during or after your injections; if so, we recommend waiting at least 24 hours before taking ibuprofen or acetylsalicylic acid, which can increase the likelihood of bruising.
- AFTER your Jeuveau™ appointment:
- In the event that bruising, swelling or redness occurs, the best option is to use a cold compress or over-the-counter acetaminophen to help alleviate any discomfort.
- Avoid alcohol and strenuous activity for at least 24 hours. Physically exertion may diffuse the neurotoxin, causing it to spread to other areas.
- Avoid rubbing or massaging the skin around the injection site for at least 24 hours, as it may cause the neurotoxin to spread to other areas.
- After receiving Jeuveau™, you can expect to begin experiencing the results of your treatment in as little as 2 to 3 days, with the most dramatic results visible after 10 to 14 days.
*NOTE: In the event that any negative side effects occur, call your dermatologist or doctor immediately.
What Makes Jeuveau™ Different from BOTOX Cosmetic® and Other Popular Neuromodulators?
Jeuveau™ is a new, FDA-approved neurotoxin designed specifically to relax the muscles between the eyebrows that cause moderate to severe wrinkles. The newest neuromodulator to treat glabellar wrinkles, Jeuveau™ is now in the same class of drug that includes BOTOX®/BOTOX Cosmetic®, Dysport®, and Xeomin®. Of these, Jeuveau™ is the only treatment exclusively designed for cosmetic purposes.
While all four injectables are derived from botulinum toxin, they each have different processing techniques and dosing recommendations. In a side-by-side trial comparing BOTOX®/BOTOX Cosmetic® (the oldest and most well-known neurotoxin on the market) with Jeuveau™, Jeuveau™ injections were confirmed to produce comparable results in both safety and efficacy when treating glabellar lines.
Is Jeuveau™ Safe?
Jeuveau™ is an FDA-approved purified botulinum toxin type A formulation designed to treat glabellar lines. It has been evaluated in five clinical studies totaling more than 2,100 patients, including two large-scale FDA trials. In a head-to-head trial comparing Jeuveau™ with BOTOX®/BOTOX Cosmetic®, both the safety and effectiveness of Jeuveau™ were demonstrated to be comparable. Results of this study were published in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal.
While uncommon, unwanted side effects may arise. Be sure to inform your dermatologist of your medical history and any medicines or supplements you may take. If you have experienced any prior muscle or nerve conditions—such as ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease, Myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome—it’s important to inform your dermatologist, as these conditions may put you at increased risk of adverse side effects.
Possible Side Effects from Jeuveau™
Jeuveau™ has undergone a series of clinical trials in the United States, Canada and Europe. When compared to BOTOX®/BOTOX COSMETIC®, the leading neurotoxin on the market, it has been found not to show any additional unfavorable effects.
While uncommon, possible side effects from Jeuveau™ treatment may include:
- Problems swallowing
- Hoarseness or difficulty speaking
- Trouble breathing
- Spread of the toxin to other areas
- Muscle weakness
- Double or blurred vision
- Drooping eyes
- Loss of bladder control
- Allergic reactions
Jeuveau™ is intended for adults only and should not be used if you have a skin infection at the determined site of injection. Do not use Jeuveau™ if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or if you have had negative reactions to other botulinum toxins such as BOTOX®, Dysport® or Xeomin®.
How Much Do Jeuveau™ Injections Cost?
Jeuveau™ was developed as a purely cosmetic treatment and, as such, has not yet been approved for insurance coverage or reimbursement. Schedule a consultation at Sanova Dermatology to get an accurate pricing estimate and to discover whether Jeuveau™ is the right solution for you.
Contact Sanova Dermatology
For more information, or to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced dermatologists, please contact Sanova Dermatology today.