Kybella Baton Rouge
If you’re self-conscious about the fat under your chin (also called submental fat) and would like to reduce the appearance of a double chin, KYBELLA® might be an attractive, non-surgical solution for you. KYBELLA® is an injectable prescription medicine used to break down the fat cells under your chin so they can be absorbed and eliminated, resulting in the appearance of a firmer, more defined chin and neck area. Traditionally, under-the-chin fat reduction was only possible through invasive procedures like liposuction or neck lift surgery; but in 2015 the FDA approved KYBELLA®, making beautiful, long-lasting results possible without the need of surgical intervention. The injectable’s long-awaited FDA approval came after more than 20 clinical studies involving more than 1600 patients. That year, KYBELLA® received the Allure Magazine Best of Beauty Breakthrough award.
KYBELLA® treatment relies on a synthetic deoxycholic acid as the active ingredient to treat submental fullness. In both its natural and synthetic states, deoxycholic acid is a molecule that destroys fat cells so they can no longer store fat. The entire KYBELLA® procedure takes roughly 15 to 20 minutes to complete and may require a series of two to four follow-up treatment sessions to achieve the full desired effect. Unlike BOTOX®, which must be repeated every three to six months to maintain the desired look, the results from KYBELLA® are long lasting, if not permanent. Because KYBELLA® is an effective, long-lasting alternative to surgery, more and more women and men are turning to it to help eliminate their double chin.
Ready for your KYBELLA® treatment? Contact Sanova Dermatology of Baton Rouge.
What is submental fullness?
Submental fullness, also referred to as a double chin, is a common aesthetic condition caused by excess fat around the chin and neck. This sagging, drooping skin can make you look older and heavier, which can lead to negative self-esteem issues. According to a survey conducted in 2015 by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS), 67% of those surveyed said they are bothered by the fat underneath their chin. The most common causes of submental fullness include weight gain, genetics and aging; however, it’s possible to maintain excess submental fat while on a healthy diet and exercise regimen.
What causes a double chin?
Men and women of all ages, body types and ethnicities can be affected by submental fullness (i.e. the appearance of a double chin). The three most common contributors to submental fullness include:
- Weight gain – As you gain weight, you may notice an increase in fat accumulation beneath your chin. This condition is called submental fullness and can give the appearance of a double chin.
- Genetics – Having a double chin does not mean that you are overweight. Genetics can play a big role in whether or not your body is predisposed to store excess fat underneath your chin and around your neck.
- Aging – As you age, the skin around your neck tends to lose its elasticity. Couple that with the effects of gravity pulling down on your skin, and you may notice a new roll of fatty skin below your chin.
What results can I expect from KYBELLA® treatment?
A first-of-its-kind injectable treatment, KYBELLA® is an effective way to treat and reduce the appearance of a double chin. It works by destroying the fat cells under the chin, making it possible for them to be absorbed and eliminated. Once destroyed, the cells can no longer store fat. At Savova Dermatology, our KYBELLA®-trained specialists will work with you to evaluate and define the submental treatment area, discuss desired results, and treat the submental area with a series of KYBELLA® injections, spaced about three months apart. Many patients report visible results after only two to four KYBELLA® treatments. Depending on the severity of your case, your dermatologist may recommend that you come in for a series of two to six treatment sessions. Once you’ve reached your desired look, the results are expected to be permanent. Unless you later gain a significant amount of weight, it’s unlikely that you will need any further treatment in the future.
How long will it take before I notice results from KYBELLA® treatment?
Results from your KYBELLA® treatment take place gradually, and are often first noticeable anywhere between 6 and 10 weeks after treatment. With additional treatments you can expect to see more improvement. In clinical studies, 79% of KYBELLA® patients experienced improved satisfaction with their face and under-the-chin area at 12 weeks after their final treatment.
How is KYBELLA® administered?
Compared to more invasive methods of eliminating unwanted under-the-chin fat, the KYBELLA® procedure is a relatively quick, effective, and safe outpatient alternative. Typically, the entire procedure takes 15 to 20 minutes to complete, and you are free to go about the rest of your day as planned.
- Doctor evaluation – At each treatment session, a KYBELLA®-trained dermatologist will evaluate your submental area and determine how many injections you will need to achieve your desired result. Before receiving treatment, it’s important to talk with your dermatologist about any medications and supplements you may be taking, as well as pre-existing surgeries, medical conditions and cosmetic treatments that may interfere with your KYBELLA® treatment.
- Optional numbing agent – Before the injections begin, you may elect to receive a numbing agent at the injection site to help minimize potential discomfort.
- KYBELLA® treatment – Your dermatologist will treat the submental area with a series of small injections under your chin. Though the number of injections depends on the severity of your submental fullness and desired treatment results, you can expect to receive somewhere between 20 and 50 injections to the target area during each session.
What possible side effects are associated with KYBELLA®?
The most common side effects associated with KYBELLA® are tenderness, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, hardness and swelling at the injection site, sometimes lasting a week or longer. Occasionally, KYBELLA® can cause more serious side effects like nerve injury, trouble swallowing or hair loss. For a complete list of possible side effects, ask your board-certified Sanova dermatologist or visit MyKybella.com.
Who is KYBELLA® suited for?
KYBELLA® is an effective treatment for adults with moderate to severe submental fat who would like to have a more defined, contoured chin and neck area without having to undertake risky surgical procedures. The treatment is well suited for those who are bothered by their double chin and unable to eliminate excess fat through other methods like diet and exercise. Wondering if KYBELLA® is right for you? Call today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced dermatologists.
Who should not receive KYBELLA®?
If you fall into one or more of the following categories, KYBELLA® may not be right for you at this time.
- You are under 18 years old
- You have trouble swallowing
- You are experiencing an infection
- You are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- You are nursing or plan to breastfeed in the near future
- You have or have had medical complications near your neck area
Save on KYBELLA™
Looking to save on your KYBELLA® treatment? Enroll in the Brilliant Distinctions rewards program, an exclusive loyalty program for Allergan customers. It’s free to register, and once enrolled, you can earn points for savings on future Allergan treatments.
Contact Sanova Dermatology
For more information, or to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced dermatologists, please contact Sanova Dermatology in Baton Rouge today. Need a location closer to you? See our other Louisiana locations.