How Do You Get The Best Results From Your Laser Hair Removal Treatments?
Although laser hair reduction is an extremely easy process, there are a few steps that you can follow to ensure that you receive the BEST results possible. Following these simple steps can assure your hair removal success and long-lasting results!
- “Throughout your laser treatments, you should not to wax, tweeze, bleach, or remove the hair in any fashion other than shaving,” says Amy Bowen, the licensed medical aesthetician at Sanova Dermatology. Patients are instructed to shave the area being treated the day before their scheduled appointment. Anything beyond simply shaving may require patients to wait additional weeks before undergoing their treatment.
- Wash the treatment areas with regular soap and water the day of your appointment. Do not apply any lotions, deodorants, perfume, or oils.
- Refrain from tanning beds and extensive sun exposure for at least 4 weeks prior to treatment. “Although we have the technology that is safe to treat darker skin types, it requires that the laser settings be turned down and that will impact the results you will see,” Amy explains. At the dermatology clinic, Amy often counsels patients on the dangers of excess sun exposure and, along with the physicians, advises patients to stay away from tanning.
- Make sure to let your laser technician know all medication you are using. Some medications make you photosensitive and may have to be stopped before treatment.
- Immediately after each treatment the area can become sensitive, red, irritated, and/or bumpy, which can last around 2-4 hours. “I typically suggest a patient use ice, Aloe Vera, Aquaphor®, or in some cases, a cortisone cream to ease any discomfort,” shares Amy.
- Refrain from picking and scratching the treated area to avoid potential side effects. DO NOT USE any other hair removal methods throughout the course of your treatments, because it will prevent you from achieving your best results.
- Stay out of the sun for at least 5-7 days after each laser treatment, to avoid any potential side effects. We also recommend that you wear a physical sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more on all treatment areas throughout the entire course of their treatments. “Elta MD sunscreens are amazing physical blocking sunscreens, my personal favorites being the Physical 41 for the face and Aero 45 for the body!,” Amy says. “I can’t stress enough how important good sunscreen is.”
Laser Hair can be done on almost any part of the body. Both men and woman can benefit from it! The best way to find out if you are a true candidate is to contact us for a free cosmetic consultation, where we can create an individualized treatment plan for you!