Cosmetic Applications of Coconut Oil: How Does It Benefit the Skin?
If you are looking for a natural product to promote healthy skin, you may not need to look any further than your natural food outlet or local chain drugstore. Coconut oil has long been used to moisturize and protect the skin, but never before, has it taken such a prominent place among mainstream cosmetic remedies. Celebrities, as well as organic product enthusiasts tout the emollient properties, as well as the healing applications of coconut oil.
“More and more of my patients are looking for a natural approach to their skin care,” says Dr. Miriam Hanson, board certified dermatologist and cosmetic skin care expert in Austin, Texas. With health food stores now advertising supplements for skin conditions and skin health, and new organic skin care lines on the market, it’s sometimes hard to navigate the optimal products for your skin.
What Makes Coconut Oil So Special For Maintaining Healthy Skin?
Coconut oil is composed of various ingredients, known to provide skin health benefits:
- Proteins – Proteins are required to rebuild and replace healthy body tissues, including skin. Protein replacement throughout the body ensures skin rejuvenation through cellular health.
- Vitamin E – Although coconut oil contains a relatively small amount of Vitamin E, its presence protects against wrinkles, cracking and other signs of premature skin aging.
- Saturated Fats – Fatty acids contained in coconut oil are capable of minimizing moisture loss through the skin, as well as pore appearance. These effects can be achieved through both direct application and ingestion of coconut oil.
- Caprilic, Lauric and Capric Acids – These elements possess anti-microbial properties, making skin and total body more immune to the introduction of harmful microbes. They are also easily broken down into energy-producing components when ingested, allowing all parts of the body to function more efficiently and effectively.
Additionally, coconut oil is relatively inexpensive and easy to keep on hand, since it does not spoil or become rancid, unlike many other natural oils.
How Does Coconut Oil Benefit the Skin?
Among its other application, Dr. Hanson explains that coconut oil has been advocated for a variety of skin-specific uses:
- A moisturizer
- A skin softening agent
- An exfoliant
- A natural lip balm
- A scar healing aide
- An antimicrobial for skin related disorders, such as acne or eczema
- A natural makeup remover
Dr. Hanson treats patients with skin diseases and performs cosmetic procedures at Sanova Dermatology, her cutting edge clinic designed to care for all skin care needs.
If you are looking for cancer screenings, preventative skin maintenance, aesthetic enhancement or skin care guidance, please contact us today. Consult with our board-certified dermatologists to realize your most beautiful and healthiest skin possible!