Advantages Of Mohs Surgery For Skin Cancer Treatment
With recent estimates indicating that one in five Americans will be diagnosed with skin cancer in their lifetime, it’s more important than ever to know what treatments are best. Basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, the two most common forms of skin cancer, are particularly well suited to treatment with Mohs Surgery.
What is Mohs Surgery?
Pronounced Moes, Mohs Micrographic Surgery is a specialized surgical technique that allows the removal of skin cancer to be performed in stages, during one visit, while the patient waits. “Each layer is removed and examined using a microscope until healthy tissue is reached,” shares Dr. Chad Prather, a board-certified dermatologist and Mohs micrographic surgeon at Sanova Dermatology in Baton Rouge, LA. This precision results in as high as a 99% success rate for treatment. Dr. Frederic Mohs, after whom the surgery is named, realized that beyond what was visible to the eye, skin cancer grew down and out into the tissue, requiring the use of a microscope to detect.
Advantages of Mohs Surgery
Mohs Surgery offers several distinct advantages for the treatment of skin cancer.
- There is a complete removal of cancerous cells during surgery as verified by microscopic review.
- The loss of healthy skin tissue is minimized since each layer is examined microscopically until clean, healthy margins have been reached.
- The precise removal of the cancerous tissue allows for the best appearance as well as the best functional result.
- Many times the repair of the cancer site can be done the same day as removal.
- Mohs Surgery can offer a skin cancer cure when other treatments have failed.
- Having Mohs Surgery can eliminate the need for additional treatments, which saves money as well as eliminates the stress and anxiety of prolonged treatment time.
“With more and more Americans being diagnosed with skin cancer, knowing your options for treatment is vital to achieving the best outcome,” explains Dr. Prather.
At Sanova Dermatology, our mission is to provide comprehensive and cutting edge skin cancer care and dermatology delivered with sincerity, compassion, reliability, and excellent results. Contact us today for more information or to make an appointment to see how we can best serve your needs.