What Can Co-enzyme Q Do For Your Skin?
Millions of Americans are currently taking the dietary supplement Co-enzyme Q10 (CoQ10) to treat a wide range of health conditions, ranging from chronic heart conditions and high blood pressure to age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s Disease, macular degeneration, and cataracts, among many others. However, did you know that CoQ10 can also be an important part of your skin care regimen?
CoQ10 is a naturally occurring enzyme in the human body that plays a vital role in the delivery of cellular energy. “Your body naturally produces CoQ10, which is a powerful antioxidant that is vital for healthy skin,” shares Dr. Miriam Hanson, board certified Dermatologist, cosmetic and skin care expert at Sanova Dermatology.
“Unfortunately, as we age, our production of CoQ10 declines. This decline causes energy production in the cells to decline,” Dr. Hanson continues. Cells become less efficient, antioxidant levels fall, and the health of your skin begins to decline.
CoQ10 supplements — which are primarily available as capsules, serums, and as an ingredient in premium skin care products — can reverse the many skin problems, such as premature aging, caused by this decline by supplementing your body’s natural CoQ10 production.
This boost in the level of CoQ10 in your body can benefit your skin in many ways. CoQ10:
- Provides new energy and vitality to your skin to help your body repair skin damage and keep your skin youthful
- Protects your body against damage cause by the sun’s rays
- Rejuvenates skin cells by stimulating increasing cellular energy and activity levels
- Stimulates collagen production. Collagen is critical to maintaining smooth, wrinkle-free skin
- Is a powerful antioxidant that can help ward off and repair much of the skin damage caused by aging